This time around, Keijo!!!!!!!! and Yuri on Ice!!! continue to earn their exclamation points, Izetta: The Last Witch and Magical Girl Raising Project leave us with some doubts, and this season of Uta Pri continues to be stultifyingly boring. In other news, we have now confirmed that Drifters‘ Jesus is a bad guy (what?) and none of the monsters in Kaiju Girls are ever going to have a cool fight (WHAT?)
This time around, we discuss March Comes in Like A Lion and how we would all like to either a)Have an Akari-figure in our lives or b) Be Akari. In other news, Magical Girl Raising Project surprises everyone, Keijo!!!!!!!! treats the Vacuum Butt Cannon issue with the seriousness it deserves, and Gakuen Handsome is…there is no describing what Gakuen Handsome is.
Oh, and Drifters featured the Second Coming of Christ and apparently only 1/3 of the audience even noticed. Maybe religious people should be concerned?
Download this episode (right click and save)
This time around, we jump down the rabbit hole with Flip Flappers, discuss the hidden meaning of the cats’ dialogue in March Comes in Like a Lion, and ponder the proper diet for a modern Keijo player. Additionally, is Girlish Number annoying, or is it just so brilliant in its recreation of workplace incompetence that it’s just painful for anyone who has ever held a job to watch? These questions, and more, answered* on this week’s** episode!
*To be perfectly candid, we don’t really answer these questions. But they are posed, and that should count for something, right?
**Our podcast timing has gotten weird and I have no idea if saying “this week’s episode” makes any sense, but whatever, I’m not getting into “fortnight” or what have you.
Back in the summer, when we put the podcast on hiatus, we had two episodes recorded that never got edited and posted. Now, stopping the podcast with no warning and leaving finished episodes in limbo is obviously not a good way to do things and not how I like to operate, but to paraphrase the wise Kero-chan:
“A lot of stuff happens in life!”
Yeah, so that happened, but here’s episode #16: Tales of Lemon Zest:
Obviously this is from a while ago so we’re still discussing summer shows like Sweetness and Lightning and Amanchu! and stuff, but probably worth a listen if you’ve enjoyed the show thus far. Episode 17 is still being edited, but I’ll update this post with it as soon as it’s done.
This week, the podcast is rocked by the events of Re:Zero 15, which were so traumatizing we needed to watch Sweetness and Lightning over and over again to remind ourselves that there is still good in the world. Other topics, besides the End of Evangelion-esque gorefest that Subaru & co. just pulled on us, include an Amanchu! girl’s amazing Creepy Yotsuba Face, relieving oneself of gas in the face of a loli ghost, the correct pronunciation of “ufotable,” and the theory that Bananya is not a charming story of cats who live in banana skins, but a psychological profile of a shattered mind.
Oh, and we predict the end of Berserk, just in case you were curious. Everyone can stop reading the manga now.
00:00:46 General Otaku Chat: Pokémon Go takes over the world
00:09:41 Re:Zero 15
00:19:29 Sweetness and Lightning 2
00:23:24 ReWrite 2
00:26:33 Orange 2
00:30:47 The Morose Mononokean 2
00:31:33 New Game! 2
00:36:01 Cheer Boys! 2
00:38:02 D. Gray Man HALLOW 2
00:44:13 Berserk 2
KOHAI/ NEW STUFF LEAGUE:
00:51:13 Alderamin On The Sky 1
00:54:35 Tales of Zesteria 0 & 1
00:58:36 Mob Psycho 100 1
01:03:23 Amanchu 1
01:08:22 Bananya 2
01:11:05 The High School Life of a Fudanshi 2
01:12:18 The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. 2
Notes of Note:
- Check out the Florida International University Pokémon Go safety video, featuring an adorable Charmander.
- The creator of One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100 is ONE.
- Lifesong and Sal are both still watching Macross Delta, but haven’t had time for it amidst all the summer craziness; it will return to the Senpai League soon. I sure hope what’s-her-name is alive….
This time around, we’re dealing with a weird kind of reverse-disappointment; we sort of wanted all the summer anime to be bad so we’d have plenty of free time to catch up on our anime backlogs, but nooooo, too much damn anime had to go out of it’s way to be funny and interesting and charming and stuff. Now we’re really into Sweetness and Lightning and Cheer Boys and Mononokean and stuff, and when are our My Anime LIst pages finally going to be up to snuff? Not this season, that’s for sure.
Meanwhile, Sal is understandably concerned about Bananya’s desire to be eaten, Lifesong has had it with anime characters shouting at each other for no real reason, and we’re all pretty flummoxed by just who First Love Monster is supposed to be targeted at. Maybe the show is like the anime equivalent of the Duck-Billed Platypus; though we can’t imagine why it exists, we must humbly accept that it does. There are many things in this world that are simply beyond our ken.
00:00:34 General Otaku Chat: Is Crunchyroll going to eat Funimation’s lunch now that they’re in the home-release game? Can we handle a Big Order dub?
Old Stuff League
00:10:31 Shonen Maid 12 (END)
00:12:38 Flying Witch 11 and 12 (END)
00:15:18 Re:Zero 14
New Hotness League
00:22:11 Food Wars! The Second Plate
00:29:42 Sweetness and Lightning
00:43:27 Taboo Tattoo
00:48:00 Love Live! Sunshine
00:49:11 The Morose Monomonokean
00:58:14 New Game!
01:04:02 Hybrid X Heart Magias Academy Ataraxia
01:07:14 First Love Monster
01:11:33 Cheer Boys
01:14:46 Puzzles and Dragons X
01:17:52 The High School Life of a Fudanshi
01:20:26 The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
- I didn’t mention it on the show because it wasn’t confirmed at the time we recorded, but Otakusphere Weekly is now available on iTunes. It will be probably become available on other popular podcast-listening services as soon as I figure out what all the kids are using these days. Let us know in the comments if there’s somewhere you’d like the show to be listed, and we’ll get on it.
In our first “Let’s look back and talk about an anime we all think was significant” episode, we discuss Sword Art Online, warts and all. We also bid farewell to a bunch of shows including And You Thought There Was Never A Girl Online, High School Fleet, Cerberus (sniff), Anne-Happy (sniff), and Pan de Peace (no sniff.)
…and that’s all I’ve got this week. Normally I try to tease a bunch of stuff we talked about to get you to listen to the episode, but it’s been a rough day and I just want to take a nap. Do I come to your house and say mean things about your podcast? No, I don’t, so what are you doing here? What do you mean you’re not in my house? If it’s not you, then who’s in my house? Do they have cake?
On second thought, screw this anime nonsense, I’m starting a podcast all about cake. The answer was right in front of me all along.
00:00:25 Sword Art Online discussion: what makes the show interesting, where does it falter, and why is it so hated by anime bloggers in particular?
00:43:38 Shonen Maid 11
00:49:19 Kiznaiver 12 (END)
00:59:25 Re:Zero 13
01:04:14 Macross Delta 13
01:08:41 And You Thought There Was Never A Girl Online 12 (END)
01:19:30 High School Fleet 12 (END)
01:23:38 Anne-Happy 12 (END)
01:26:47 Haven’t You Heard? I’m Sakamoto 11
01:34:09 Tanaka-kun is Always Listless 12 (END)
01:36:45 Cerberus 12 (END)
01:41:37 Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou (END)
01:45:11 Space Patrol Luluco 13 (END)
01:51:34 Pan de Peace (END)
- I wrote a piece a few years back picking apart the various fan complaints with SAO, so if you want to see some things addressed that we only touched on in the podcast, give it a whirl. I had no idea until just now, but people are still leaving comments on it.
- We recorded this just before AX, thus before the announcement that the SAO TV series was continuing in Spring 2017. So if you’re wondering why we seem confused about when/if SAO was coming back, it’s because we didn’t know until a day or two later.
LB: I’m going to try not to be too harsh on the ending of Kuma Miko….
Karen: I’m going to stop you RIGHT THERE.
We bid fond and not-so-fond farewells to several Spring shows, but all is very nearly overshadowed by the 23-car-pileup that was Kuma Miko 12. Fortunately, I’m prepared with an uplifting (and exceptionally expensive) Sakamoto date to lift our spirits after a certain bear-themed anime did it’s best to bring us down; birds are involved.
Otherwise, we’re not sure if we want Joker Game to come back with a second season (“Now with actual World War II”), Flying Witch has always been about produce and will always be about produce, Hane gets assaulted by Jesus and we’re happy about it, and don’t you dare give shade to Shonen Maid online or LB will end you and everything you hold dear.
00:02:06 General Otaku Chat: Sailor Moon Drops, Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
00:07:51 Big Order 9 & 10 (END)
00:14:44 Kiznaiver 10 &11
00:22:38 The Lost Village 11 & 12
00:29:27 ReZero 11 &12
00:33:41 Joker Game 11 &12
00:40:56 Flying Witch 10
00:42:39 Twin Star Exorcists 10 & 11 (DROPPED)
00:43:55 Macross Delta 11 & 12
00:49:29 Kuma Miko 12 (END) (WTF) (SERIOUSLY) (HELP ME I AM IN HELL)
00:59:10 Bakuon!! 11 & 12 (END)
01:03:47 And You Thought There Was Never A Girl Online 10 & 11
01:07:09 Shonen Maid 9 &10
01:10:45 High School Fleet 10 & 11
01:13:27 Anne Happy 10 &11
01:14:20 Haven’t You Heard? I’m Sakamoto 9 & 10
01:22:06 Super Lovers 10
01:29:27 Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 10 & 11
01:31:49 Space Patrol Luluco 11 &12
01:36:15 Pan de Peace 11 & 12
- The Kizumonogatari audiobook, from Vertical Inc. features performances by Keith Silverstein, Eric Kimerer, and Cristina Vee. It’s also an audiobook for an LN, and we should probably all go out and buy it to celebrate the fact that it exists.
- Here is some more info on the giant jellyfish that now haunt my nightmares. What this has to do with anything else, I could not even begin to tell you; apparently it’s related to Macross, somehow.
- This is the figure I gave my husband to get him to agree to let me go on a date with Sakamoto:
- This is the dress I wore on my date with Sakamoto, helpfully modeled by Icelandic singer Bjork:
- I mistakenly said that Super Lovers ended at episode 11; it actually ended with 10. I don’t know why, but for some reason I was convinced there were an odd number of episodes.
- The first Shonen Ai show that Lifesong watched was Love Stage.
- Cerberus is another show that we haven’t dropped, but I wasn’t caught up, so we just skipped it this week. We’re going to make an effort to be more consistent next season (probably by virtue of following fewer shows in the first place….)
In this episode we commiserate that Joker Game has completely ruined James Bond for us, to the extent that we ever liked James Bond in the first place (we didn’t.) Meanwhile, Kiznaiver is busy climaxing all over the place, Super Lovers gets downright scandalous (or so the internet says), Saraato might be made from Dagan Zot’s evil gallbladder, and we come this close to having another Melon Bread Incident. Fortunately, Cod Roe Bread is an honestly-named bread, therefore Sal avoided the catastrophic meltdown that could have destroyed us all.
00:00:29 General Otaku Chat: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus, Fate//Extra, Odin Sphere Lefthrasir, Rainy Cocoa
00:20:54 Big Order 8
00:25:29 Kiznaiver 9
00:31:26 The Lost Village 10
00:41:46 Re:Zero 10
00:45:30 Flying Witch 9
00:47:57 Joker Game 10
00:50:44 Twin Star Exorcists 9
00:58:20 Macross Delta 10
01:00:34 Kuma Miko 10
01:03:58 Bakuon!! 10
01:05:25 And You Thought There Was Never A Girl Online 9
01:10:14 Shonen Maid 8
01:12:12 High School Fleet 9
01:16:35 Anne Happy 9
01:18:25 Tanaka-kun is Always Listless 9 (also we hate McDonalds)
01:22:06 Super Lovers 9
01:26:38 Cerberus 10
01:30:45 Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 9
01:32:43 Space Patrol Luluco 10
01:38:45 Pan de Peace 10
- We speculated during our gaming chat that you needed to beat the game in Heroic mode in order to get the platinum trophy for Odin Sphere Leifthrasir; strangely, this is not true.
- The Re:Zero novels are not available in English as of this writing, but the first volume is being published by Yen Press in July.
- Softenni has been licensed by Sentai Filmworks. Alas, there is no OVA episode:(
- Despite appearances, we have not all dropped Sakamoto; since LB was absent this week and Lifesong has dropped it for the time being, we just skipped it this episode. Stay tuned next episode for the Sakamoto date to end Sakamoto dates.
In this episode, we are joined by Neontaster, the guy who is responsible for maybe 50% of the content of what is known in the wider world as “Anitwitter.” Actually, it isn’t known to the wider world since the only people who even know what Anitwitter is are already a part of it, but perhaps it should be? Just like we here at Otakusphere Weekly are ambassadors for Shonen Maid, the underrated show of the season, perhaps YOU should become an ambassador for Anitwitter?
Anyway, Neontaster reminds me yet again that Kabaneri is a great show and I was dumb for not picking it up, Lifesong and I are confounded about the fact that we still enjoy Super Lovers despite the show’s best efforts to make us throw up our hands and walk away, LB has a date with Sakamoto that puts me to shame (and that will be avenged, make no mistake), and Sal is apparently some kind of Trigger historian who must secretly be involved in the production of Space Patrol Luluco, and probably Kiznaiver too while we’re at it.
00:00:28 General Otaku Chat: Funimation Broadcast Dubs, Neon gets his first dolly, MegaCon 2016, Sailor Moon Drops
00:26:33 Big Order 7
00:34:23 Kiznaiver 8
00:47:56 The Lost Village 9
00:53:25 ReZero 9
01:01:20 Flying Witch 8
01:04:05 Joker Game 9
01:08:35 Twin Star Exorcists 8
01:13:23 Macross Delta…something?
01:17:16 Kuma Miko 9
01:19:05 Bakuon!! 9
01:23:47 And You Thought There Was Never A Girl Online 8
01:27:47 Special Neontaster bonus segment!
01:35:02 Shonen Maid 7
01:38:32 High School Fleet 8
01:42:46 Anne Happy 8
01:46:23 Tanaka-kun is Always Listless 7 & 8
01:49:12 Haven’t You Heard? I’m Sakamoto 7
01:54:40 Super Lovers 8 & 9
02:00:33 Cerberus 8
02:04:10 Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 8
02:06:25 Space Patrol Luluco 9
02:11:13 Pan de Peace 9